Close but no cigar

Thomas Dolby - Close but no cigar EP

Wow, I sure did come home to some good mail this evening.

First up: a letter from Carnegie Mellon University Press saying my manuscript Praise Nothing was selected as a finalist for the 2010 submission period. So that's good news. Would have been amazing to have placed the manuscript with them since they've published some of my favorite poets (Larry Levis and Arthur Smith, among many others),  but since it didn't work out this time, I'm looking at the rejection as a positive sign, for sure, that this thing is publishable. Maybe. Not to get my hopes up too much. So...yeah..."maybe" is the word for the day, and with that I'll just keep watching the mail.

I also got my two copies of Copper Nickel 15 which includes my poem "A Gathering of Fire, a Patterning of Ash." I can't really express how rewarding it is to see this poem in print finally as it's one I've been kicking around for a long time, one of those poems composed in the mind for many years, and then one day all of its parts assemble on the doorstop and declare their arrival.

And check out the list of other poets in this issue. Wowza! The list includes: Sandra Beasley, Traci Brimhall, Curtis L. Crisler, J. P. Dancing Bear, Kyle G. Dargan, Adam Day, Natalie Eilbert, Tarfia Faizullah, Rebecca Morgan Frank, Suzanne Frischkorn, Anna Journey, Joshua Kalscheur, Marc McKee, Wayne Miller, Adam Million, Jenny Molberg, Nick Norwood, Soham Patel, Pablo Pschiera, Jon Pineda, Anne Shaw, Sandra Simonds, Ashley Toliver, Jeffrey Thompson, Ross White, and the 2010 Poetry Contest Winner Susan Grimm.

You might also be interested to know that Copper Nickel has an off-site reading planned for AWP. It'll be on Friday night at The Black Cat. Readers will be: Sandra Beasley, Kyle G. Dargan, Merrill Feitell, Anna Journey, David Keplinger, Michael Martone, and Wayne Miller. Here's a link to more info about the event.

I also received my copy of Luke Johnson's After the Ark which was just released by New York Quarterly Press.

I've previously posted a few poems from the book (click here to read them), and I'm looking forward to some time this weekend when I can sit down and read it straight through.

Sandy Longhorn recently read it straight through, and she's written a thoughtful post about Luke's book that you should read by clicking here.

You might recognize the image at the top of this post as a play on Magritte's "This is not a pipe" painting. The image is from Thomas Dolby's EP Close but No Cigar," which released in 1992. Thomas Dolby is probably best known for his song "She Blinded Me With Science." Here's the video: